Recipe To Relish
1 cauliflower cut into flowerets or 5 small red potatoes
1 T Garam Masala
1 T Coriander powder
1 T Turmeric powder
4 T of ghee
1 T Cumin seeds
4 Red chilies
1/3 cup cashew nuts
3 roma tomatoes chopped
1 can drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
2 cups Basmati Rice
½ T cloves
1 black cardamon
1 T whole black pepper
½ cup raisins
Salt to taste
2 large red onions (sliced fine and fried till crisp)
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup fresh mint
1 T ginger / garlic paste
1/2 cup yogurt or 2 key limes
4 T Ghee /Oil
Saffron dissolved in 1 cup milk
Cooking the vegetables
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add 4 tablespoons of ghee. Add cumin seeds. When it begins to crackle, add chopped green chilies.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili. Saute for 1 minute
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook on a medium flame till fat leaves the masala.
- Add cauliflower florets and steam the dish with 4 tablespoons of water.
Cooking the rice
- Heat a small heavy bottom pan and add 1 T of ghee and fry the whole spices and jalepeneo. Remove.
- In another deep pot boil 7 cups of water and bring to a rolling boil. When the rice is half cooked usually 7 minutes put off the heat and strain the rice
Fold in the rice the whole spices and jalepeneo. Add salt to taste.
Preparing the fresh seasonings
1 Mix together the chopped parsley, mint with the fried onion. Set aside.
Layering the rice
- Take a deep baking dish with a tight lid (the pottery pots are the best) line it with ghee.
- Spread a layer of rice and cover it with half of the vegetables and beans. Sprinkle half of the fresh seasonings and yogurt or juice of one key lime.
- Cover with rice, followed by rest of the vegetable and beans layer, then fresh seasonings. Finish with a rice layer. .Sprinkle the rice with saffron milk and dot with ghee.
- Cover tightly and place in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
1. Serve with yogurt salad or raita.